Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Middle of the week musings

Ohmuhjeez. It has been almost a week and a half since I last posted! I can't believe it and I'm sure you're struggling as well. The last week has been a bit of an emotional valley for me and I'm coming out the other side, slowly but surely. Have no fear, the blogging is back. Bring on the Serbian ridiculousness!

1. Do they like Americans?
        Sorta. Here in Belgrade being American doesn't instantly make you popular (unlike in some unnamed British territories). Every other foreigner is cooler than the Americans. Most don't really appreciate America as a whole, but are more than okay with being friends with individual Americans. Now before I get all sorts of hate comments, let me stress that this isn't necessarily true for all Serbs and I have never had a bad experience stemming from my nationality. While there is some history between Serbia and the US, pretty much every Serb I've met has disregarded my nationality and judged me solely on my inability to communicate and function in day to day life.    

2. Do they watch Friends?
    We're all familiar with it, the show that featured that lovable group of friends and their crazy mid 90's high jinks. It is now showing reruns all over the world and it is one of the few truly American shows I can get on my Serbian cable package. I usually get just random episodes of other things, but Friends is a staple in the line up. In fact, many people claim to have learned their American accents and colloquialisms from watching the show all the time. How's that for education?




3. How's the weather?
    Currently its a bit warmer than it is in Mississippi. Serbia is strange because they have hot summers (just like home but without the humidity) and really cold snowy winters. We're just starting to head into the winter season. It even snowed while I was on the mountain in South Serbia this past weekend, but didn't stick. I'm in a love/hate relationship with the weather. On the one hand its nice to be able to bundle up...which is necessary if you don't want to get a death stare from everyone in their snow jackets...even when only a light jacket is necessary. On the other its a bit distressing to have your city heating shut off because they don't think its cold enough for it to be needed. I do have heating, mostly, so I shouldn't complain. (That's what my mother said at least.) I'll be sure to keep you updated on the weather and let you know when the snow starts to fall. I'll be sure to make everyone back home jealous...until I start whining about the snow. Which we all know is a highly probable eventuality.


1 comment:

  1. You are prone to whining. But, we will enjoy the snow pictures. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete