Monday, January 2, 2012

The first of what?

This is my requisite New Year's post, I'm way behind on documenting everything that has been happening this last month. The next few weeks will be a mixture of catching up and introducing Serbian customs to you (January is a huge holiday month).

This last year contained many firsts and the things I have learned in the last few months have been huge. I'll tell you a bit more about them tomorrow as it marks my six month anniversary here in Belgrade.

In the last year: I picked up new skills working with some wonderful people at Chick-fil-A, saw my obedience tested in an emergency room and its aftermath, moved to Virginia in order to better prepare for my across the world journey, lived with a wonderful roommate and three families, learned what true obedience looks like and the sacrifices it entails, moved thousands of miles away to Serbia, joined two fabulous families in Belgrade, met amazing people, added two crazy cats to my household, said goodbye over and over again, learned to be humble and accept my stupidity with grace, traveled to four countries, and celebrated Christmas in two time zones. For those of you that have kept up with this blog I thank you. Things are far more fun when I have someone to rehash it with later...virtual or otherwise.

This year above all else has taught me that true independence is found, paradoxically, in the realization that I am utterly dependent on others. Those others include friends, family, strangers, and Christ Jesus. We survive in this world because we are not alone in it. So to all of you: Thank You. Without you, life would be far less amazing.

I look forward to what this year has in store. God moves in mysterious ways and I pray that He moves in me/through me in huge huge ways.

So here we go, bring it on 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment