Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Just across the border in Croatia

Soooo I spent last week at Kamp in Croatia. It was not exactly what I'd hoped for, but it was unexpectedly awesome in quite a few ways. I'll get to that in a later post, as for kamp itself, I'll try to give you the low down now. Late Sunday night we drove, about 12 hours, to an island off the Croatian coast. It was me, the Seattle girls and about 90 Serbian/Croatian students that we'd never met. The week consisted of swimming, tanning, bible study, large group, and a whole lot more swimming and tanning. The setting was beautiful, the language barrier was atrocious. Thankfully there were several of us that spoke English so we just stuck close to each other and had a grand time. I did make a few Serbian friends and some awesome new friends from Ghana so all was not socially lost. It was a learning experience and an introduction into just how difficult parts of this journey may turn out to be. All in all, it makes for excellent stories.

This is the view of the area our kamp was situated in front of. The water is where we swam when we didn't go to the sandy beach. The beach by the kamp was concrete and there were rocks in the water. It was still gorgeous and the water was crystal clear, but ice cold. 

This is the view from the sandy beach, there were no rocks here, but the place was crazy crowded.



This is the walk back into kamp. In the afternoons we walked into town and had snacks and just sort of hung out before heading back for large group worship.

This is my delightful bungalow that I shared with three other girls. It was sweltering during the day and an ice box at night.
This is where we had three square meals a day and also played Uno late into the night.
Croatia was gorgeous and quite a different view from Belgrade. Having said that, I'm ecstatic to be back home and sorting out my life details...like my visa and such.

If you'd like to see more photos from the trip, you can creep on my facebook album.*This is me advocating facebook stalking.

No comments:

Post a Comment