Thursday, November 17, 2011

Serbian Tidbits

This is going to be a short, sweet and photo less post. I can feel the disappointment all the way over here. I'll make it up to you tomorrow on Foto Friday!! I just felt like I had to share two of the more interesting parts of my morning.

First: Bunny Spotting
This morning, my Bestie Connor and I were headed to the Fortress. Because of all the construction we have to go a more round about way to achieve this end. Bestie took a bus from his house and I took a bus (the second one to go by because not even a noodle would've fit on the first) and met him across the river. At this point we went down some steep sketchy steps and settled in to wait for the tram. It was freezing and we were talking about mostly nothing when I looked over and saw what appeared to be a tiny white chihuahua across the intersection. There was a crowd of old people around it and as I continued to look it appeared to become more rabbit like. I asked Connor if that was what I thought it was and to our amazement it began to hop around the feet of two old men. We stood in stunned silence watching it hop on the curb dangerously close to traffic until his elderly owner scooped him up like a potato and carried him on the tram. I still thought I might have imagined the whole thing, but then his tram drove right by us and I could clearly see the bunny in his arms like a baby looking out the window.

Secondly: Rakija for Mission Friends
The reason Connor and I were at the Fortress this morning was to pick up some souvenirs that really showcased Serbian culture in order to send home to my mother's mission friend class. We were doing quite well on this front until we came to the second stall. (The walk up to the Fortress is lined with wooden stalls where people sell handmade things, snow globes, old Yugoslavian medals and money, etc.) The lady was incredibly hard to understand to begin with, but she seemed intent on selling me a small jar of what looked like honey. Indeed it was, but not just any honey...Rakija honey. For those of you not in the know, Rakija is like Serbian moonshine. I kept telling her that I wasn't interested, but she was just as adamant that I needed this in my life. I imagine that would be hilarious to send home to my mother and have her serve to the preschoolers in her class...the definition of hilarious is relative right? The Company would love that story. I kept politely declining and instead managed to buy iconography key chains. She seemed genuinely upset that I was going home without the alcoholic honey, however, I can't help but feel like I dodged a bullet. There just seems to be something fundamentally wrong with spiking your honey. *Hey Kristina, I bet that would put more hair on your chest.

2 comments:

  1. That honey is the good stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. phahaha calling me out on cyber space :) I bet it would just like the Dunav River did!

    ReplyDelete