Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday Thankfulness

I don't often go deep here on the pages of this blog, but since this is the month to be thankful I thought I'd dedicate my Sundays to things I am thankful for.

Today and everyday I am thankful for my Lord Jesus Christ who died to save me, a lowly sinner. Some of you may be rolling your eyes at this one and I have to tell you that if this were anyone else's blog I might be guilty of the same. Over the last year and a half God has really shown me what real faith looks like and has shown me what a true devotion and obedience to that faith looks like. I now have friends that regularly blog about their faith and I love hearing about the struggles and the victories, I love knowing that I have friends on the journey! So I dedicate this blog post to that huge aspect of my life: my faith. I also want to include all of the people that helped push, pull and prod me to this point...and continue to do so. Without Christ nothing is possible and with Him, everything is. Thank goodness, otherwise living in Serbia would be a lot harder than it already is.

I've been reading the bible with my new Serb friend and I love watching her face as she devours scripture. It has been a long time since I read the Word with such hunger and excitement. She recently came to me and told me that one of her new favorite verses was John 3:16. I don't even have to quote it here because I'm sure every single one of you is saying it in your head. When she said that I had to sit back and take a minute. I had learned this verse as a child and it is a foundational block in my belief system, yet it had lost its power. She was so excited she could barely get the words out as she read it aloud to me. Here was a girl that started with no biblical knowledge, barely able to speak aloud the greatest gift we have ever been given. She got it. She knew the power in those words and she didn't need 12 years of Sunday School and memorization to get to that point. Wow. To be able to look at these passages with fresh eyes is a blessing in itself. Her excitement is contagious and I've found myself experiencing all new emotions in depth as I read through passages with her.

The two of us were attending a friend's fellowship service this past Saturday night. The lesson is taught in Serbian so I often tend to zone out or read different parts of my bible because I can only catch about 3% of what is said. I felt her poke my arm and as I turned to her she had the biggest smile on her face as she pointed to a verse that had just been read. "I [Jesus] tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Some of you may recognize Matthew 17:20, but this was the first time she had ever read it. She looked at me and said, "Can you imagine? Something so tiny, like this seed, that becomes huge like a giant tree! That is what I want for myself." Indeed, that is what I want for her and myself and for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment